Covenant Stroke Program
Every minute counts when it comes to strokes. Which is why the Covenant HealthCare Stroke Program is designed to provide extraordinary care in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of strokes. Because when it comes to your brain, we make the most of every minute and provide you with the immediate care you need to improve your overall quality of life. And we’ll do what it takes to improve your odds for recovery from a stroke, save your brain and your ability to walk, talk, see, reach and feel.
That’s why the Stroke Team is alerted the instant you arrive at the Emergency Care Center with stroke symptoms. They’ll perform lab work and neurological testing on you, followed by a CT scan. Once a test assessment is made by one of our neurologists, you’ll be assisted in determining what the best treatment plan will be for you.
The Covenant Stroke Program delivers an extraordinary continuum of care.
Delivering better outcomes is our pursuit. That’s why the Covenant Stroke Program is equipped with the most advanced team and technologies. So you can get the extraordinary care you need from diagnoses to recovery.
Our Stroke Team includes:
- Carotid stenting specialist
- Laboratory and CT/MRI personnel
- Neurologist (on call 24 hours, 7 days a week)
- Nurse practitioner-coordinator
- PFO closure surgical specialist
- Physical, speech and occupational therapists
Our advanced technologies include:
- 64-slice CT scan
- Air ambulance transport system
- Angiography suites
- MRI equipment
- Neuroscience step-down unit
- Specialty neuroscience critical care units
Covenant HealthCare is a Primary Stroke Center
Our program meets the rigorous standards of, and is accredited by, the Health Facilities Accreditation Program (HFAP) as a Primary Stroke Care Program. To be a HFAP certified Primary Stroke Center, Covenant demonstrates improved treatment, better patient outcomes and reduced costs. Moreover, Primary Stroke centers have the required infrastructure and protocols in place to stabilize and provide rapid and evidence-based care to acute stroke patients.
Primary Stroke Certification Requirements:
- The program director must have extensive experience in acute stroke
- Stroke code team arrival at bedside must be within 15 minutes
- Lab testing and advanced imaging capabilities must be available 24/7
- Must have access to neurologists 24/7
- Must have neurosurgical expertise available or able to transfer patients within two hours
- Must have a designation stroke unit
- Staff must meet education requirements