Covenant HealthCare will go tobacco-free at all its campuses on Saturday, May 1 - when the statewide smoking ban goes into effect.
Click Here for a Tobacco-Free Covenant map.
Quit Tobacco Resources
The transition to a smoke-free campus at Covenant HealthCare will mean change for all of us, especially those employees who smoke, while at work.
But for those who smoke, we hope this presents you with an opportunity for a larger, more beneficial lifestyle change - the opportunity to kick the smoking habit for good.
If you are interested in quitting smoking, you have TONS of programs and sources. Here are a few:
- For those employees who are insured by HealthPlus, they have a free program called QuitNet. QuitNet combines evidence-based methods of treating tobacco addiction with an effective individually controlled program that is available anytime, anyplace, 24 hours a day. You can receive a number of support elements, including comprehensive online support, a 40-page quitting handbook, phone support that includes five scheduled calls with a trained cessation counselor, and Quit tips email support. You can receive information on QuitNet by calling 800.345.9956, ext. 1943. Or you can enroll online.
- Central Michigan University Healthcare offers a program called The Finish Line. The program is based around Chantix, a non-nicotine smoking cessation product. The program costs $149 for Covenant employees (who can receive a three-month supply of Chantix free with a doctor's prescription when the prescription is filled through the Covenant Outpatient Pharmacy). The program also includes four professional lectures, two spirometry tests, a nurse visit and counseling sessions. For more information, call Anthony Taylor at CMU Healthcare at 583.6818.
- The Michigan CardioVascular Institute offers free smoking cessation classes taught by a registered respiratory therapist. These classes are held from 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm Mondays, in the second floor classroom at MCVI, 1015 S. Washington in Saginaw. To register, call Sam Connon at 754.3000, ext. 4320.
- Break Free Laser offers laser therapy to treat nicotine addiction. Treatment includes an initial consultation, laser therapy treatment, a smoking cessation treatment booster (two free within 12 weeks), one-month supply of three nutritional/detoxification supplements, behavioral modification training and ongoing support products. The program is based in Lansing, but they will travel to Saginaw for groups. Fees are a maximum of $330 per person. More information is available online, or by calling John Hagarty at 517.886.QUIT (7848).
- Covenant HealthCare will present/facilitate the American Cancer Society's Fresh Start smoking cessation program, which features Covenant employees as cessation coaches. We hope to start the program on March 1. Each program will feature four one-hour sessions (twice a week for two weeks). This program is free. For details, call Vickie Boesnecker at 583.6337.
State and National Resources