Preparing for the hospital
Prior to your due date, begin to plan for your trip to the hospital. An early labor could catch you by surprise.
Arrange Your Household
- Arrange care for other children while you are in the hospital.
- Organize the baby's room with necessary furnishings and supplies.
- Organize the house and family for the time you will be away.
Prepare a Childbirth Bag
- Prepared childbirth instructions, notes, class materials or book
- Important phone numbers of relatives and friends
- Include your copy of "You, Your Baby and Covenant"
- Warm socks
- Lotion or cornstarch
- Mouth fresheners (lollipops, mouthwash)
- Lip moisturizer or Vaseline
- Paint roller or rolling pin (for back pressure)
- Quick energy snacks for your childbirth coach and/or change for use in vending machines/cafeteria
Pack Your Suitcase
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, other personal toiletries
- Night gown(s) and robe
- Panties, Bras/Nursing bras and nursing pads
- Going home outfit for your self and baby (season-appropriate)
- Baby blanket
- Sweater, bunting, bonnet for cold weather
- Car Seat - properly installed in car for ride home.
- Please leave cash/credit cards, expensive jewelry at home.