Lymphedema is the chronic swelling of an extremity or one part of the body. This is due to a deficiency in the flow of lymph from the area. At Covenant HealthCare, we provide special attention and care with lymphedema therapy. This therapy offers treatment that includes exercise-specific therapy, medical compression bandaging and garments and/or manual therapy.
*A physician's referral (prescription) is required to begin the process.
Lymphedema can be caused by:
- Congenital defect with too few or impaired lymph nodes
- Destruction of extensive lymphatic pathways due to trauma, surgery or radiation
- Surgical removal of lymph nodes such as during a mastectomy, prostate cancer, cervical or uterine cancer, colon or rectal cancer.
Symptoms of lymphedema include:
- Rings, watches, sleeves, pants or shoes are beginning to fit tightly
- Swelling in the arms, legs, face or trunk, which can range from minimal to extreme
- Tissue so hard that you can't indent it
- When pressing a finger to the swollen area, the indent lasts several seconds before returning to normal
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 989-583-6386.